Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Recently I was driving on the highway. My mind was wandering from one point in life to the other until I was drawn back by a song playing on the radio ... "Kau kunci cintaku di dalam hati mu ..."

It was sung by Ramlah Ram, a very popular artist in the 80’s. That song won some awards if my memory serves me right. She sang the song with a ligthed heart (literally) on her sequin-embroidered, body hugging white gown. My older brother adored (still adores?) her like most men (me not included) adore Siti Nurhaliza now. I was preoccupied with Bruce Springsteen and Madonna and Cyndi Lauper then so I did not have the chance to admire her. Neither had I paid any attention to the song before.

But that day I did give my full attention to the lyrics. That day I heard the singer pronounce each and every word as I immersed myself in the meaning of the lyrics. The lyrics were wonderful, the composition immaculate.

I noticed something in the pronunciation. Those were the days when "cinta" was still pronounced as "cinta", not "shinta"; "hati" was still "hati" and not "hatchi" (pronounce it and make sure your spits jump your teeth).

So, if we were to sing Ramlah's song now, it would sound like "Kau kunshee shintaku di dalam hatchi mu ..." Ugly isn't it?

I used to like the petite Sheila Majid when she sang "Sinaran" but I dropped her from my list when she started to pronounce it as "Shinaran."

No comments: