Thursday, May 06, 2004

oh ya ... there's something historical i need to blog here. there's something perched on my nose while i'm typing this.

yep. last week i picked up my reading glasses. this is the first time i'm using optical aid, apart from my sunglasses that is. the power is not that much. it's the astigmatism that bothers me. maybe my eyesight has been the cause for my headache all this while.

since few months back i couldn't read my novels past three pages without feeling irritated. worse still, when i was having my meals i had to really scrutinize my plate to differentiate the ants from the carbonized food due to over-frying. to see the black specks clearly i had to back my eyes far away from the plate; but, the farther i tilted my head back the tinier the specks became and i still couldn't make out what the black specks were. at the end i had to swallow them anyway. it was frustrating to say the least.

now i can read again with less strain. i am continuing with king of torts by grisham which i abandoned two months ago after reading only a few pages. i can see the food clearly now although the glasses keep sliding down my slippery nose when i eat fiery hot prawn tomyam soup ... oh dear god the tomyam in thailand is heavenly! beads of sweat streamed from my scalp down my neck and forehead and nose and all parts of my body while i kept shoving food non-stop into my mouth. i'm definitely going there again, god willing. ok enough of that.

but with the new sight comes reality. the first day i wore the glasses at work i had to attend a meeting. next to me was a lady whom i thought all the while had a smooth complexion. while i was reading a paper the lady next to me leaned over to say something to me. i looked at her through my glasses. the glasses revealed enough details to make me remove my glasses so that some of the fantasies remained.

a friend of mine remarked that i just added 10 years to my age with the glasses on. so, glasses, back you go in your case after i click on the "Post & Publish" button.