Tuesday, March 30, 2004

This morning my ex-boss (who has resigned from the company I'm working for) contacted me to offer a job. It's an IT position.

As he is also a friend of mine I did not want to disappoint him and I told him we could discuss.

At this moment my interest is no longer in IT. After spending 12 years in IT in enduser company, no more do I have the stamina and interest to develop applications from scratch; nor the patience to manage system integration projects and all the challenges; nor the design of a grand long term IT plan for a company. Been there, done that.

Now I see IT as only a part of the solution for an organisation. I know how it is relevant in an organisation as an enabler. That's all I care about IT. Get someone else to implement it.

I am more interested in the organisational improvement as a whole -- the clarity of vision and mission; long term business objectives and strategies; right people with right skills; systems and processes that move the organisation; management style; and how the organisation is structured. My job now involves all of these. For now I am still passionate about my job.

IT is only a part of the big picture. Let someone else work on the details. If I were to be offered an IT position I would accept it only if I were to head the IT outfit. Otherwise it won't be worth it.

No comments: